Saturday, April 11, 2009

LIteral Bibles: Sarah 1

Here are the comments on Gen. 18:11 from This Lamp.

Really, it could be said that the ESV in Gen 18:11 is MORE literal than the RSV, KJV, or even Tyndale because here even the original word order has been replicated, something that the translators of the other three did not feel an obligation to do.


Gravatar Gen. 18:11 is an interesting example. The phrase means, of course, that Sarah was menopausal (e.g., by etymology: the moon stops).

To be sure, the NASB has a footnote giving a more literal translation.

RSV & NRSV: Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in age; it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.

ESV: Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah.

Now I understand that you don't like either of these alternatives, but for me, the ESV is a step backwards here. The (N)RSV is more clear to me; while the ESV suggests to me that some spirit or ghost had left Sarah; why couldn't the editors write "the way of women had ceased to be for Sarah."

I might also add that I would admire a change from the RSV's "advanced in age" to "advanced in days" I don't understand the decision to change the phrase in this verse to "advanced in years."

The next verse shows a similar strange move.

RSV & NRSV: So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?”

ESV: So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?”

Now I understand the ESV was trying to be more literal here by distinguishing between the two Hebrew words used to describe Sarah and Abraham's age. But to me, it sounds as if Sarah is saying "I'm pooped out today, and have a headache, so no pleasure tonight."

Here, both versions change the order of the phrases from the original, so it seems to me that something like the NJPS best captures the meaning:

NJPS: And Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “Now that I am withered, am I to have enjoyment—with my husband so old?”


Gravatar Really, it could be said that the ESV in Gen 18:11 is MORE literal than the RSV, KJV, or even Tyndale because here even the original word order has been replicated, something that the translators of the other three did not feel an obligation to do.

I don't see this at all. The RSV and NRSV follow the Hebrew word order better than the ESV. Notice that "of women" is the last word in the Hebrew verse.


I can't add much to this, but it demonstrates some of the good and the bad in Bible revision. Thanks to Theophrastus for some insight into the Hebrew of this verse.

No comments: