Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Last Greek Scholar

I never once thought in all these years that what happened to Mr. Willis was about doctrine. That people would parse Christ's blood like a Greek verb. I always thought that it was because he was the last Greek scholar in the Exclusive Brethren.

When he died lots of families left and some went in different directions. There are many other kinds of Brethren to become after that. Open, tight open, tight, and so on. So it wasn't much better, but a little better.

When I was 17 and went to university I could be in classes with my best friend. We had known each other since we were very young. Now she took Greek too, and Hebrew. I would never have taken courses in the Near Eastern Studies Dept. if it weren't for her. We were best friends and now there were two of us. It was much safer that way. We had a lot of fun together.

No comments: