Friday, February 17, 2006

Woman's Work

Someone has the impression that I think Greek and Hebrew is more important than woman's work. That teaching men is more important than teaching women and children. How would I know? I am an elementary school teacher.

So... the most important work I have ever done is helping a deaf girl learn to speak. This is like taking a child of 10 and letting them go through being age 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on. I wouldn't say that a man couldn't do a job like this, because I have worked with men as teachers of the very young and I believe the differences between men and women are simply overrated. But this falls into what might be described as 'woman's work'. And it cannot be rated too highly.

I am married and have two children, but they are growing up. If woman are at home with children then they must love every minute of it. That is the only thing to do. Because those children will one day grow up.

No comments: