- διὰ τοῦτο ὀφείλει ἡ γυνὴ ἐξουσίαν ἔχειν ἐπὶ τῆς κεφαλῆς διὰ τοὺς ἀγγέλους
- because of this ought a woman power to have on the head because of the angels/messengers
- This is why a woman should have authority over her own head: because of the angels. ISV
It is perfectly accurate to say that ἐξουσίαν means any of the following, power, authority, freedom, permission, liberty, license.
Here is an interesting use of the word.
- ἐπὶ τῇ τῆς εἰρήνης ἐξουσίᾳ
certain Greek citizens, including Aeschines, were availing themselves of the liberty of the peace to visit Macedonia and take bribes Demosthenes
- This is why a woman should have freedom concerning her own head, the liberty to do as she thinks right about her head, because of the angels.
In any case, in this passage, the woman is in the assembly and she is praying and prophesying.
Why associate this chapter with subjection and silence when it mentions authority and prophesying? Think of Huldah and Deborah, two women of the Old Testament, a prophetess and a judge. Should not women in the New Testament have at least as much liberty as those in the Old?