Thursday, February 19, 2009

Armstrong on Greek plays

I am reading Karen Armstrong's Great Traditions. I love how she treats Greek plays. So often one hears about Greek philosophy and sometimes too much of the negative stuff too. But Greek plays are are right up my alley. Here is Armstrong. (p.227)

    By placing a tortured individual in front of the polis, analysing that person's pain, and helping the audience to empathize with him or her, the fifth-century tragedians - Aeschylus (c. 525-456), Sophocles (c. 496-405) and Euripides (c. 484-406) - had arrived at the heart of Axial Age spirituality. The Greeks firmly believed that the sharing of grief and tears created a valuable bond between people.


Ps I hate to say this but I guess I should. If I cite someone it does not mean that I agree with everything they write. Its too bad that I feel I have to say this. I am enjoying this book and am constantly in dialogue with the author in my mind.

No comments: