Sunday, March 12, 2006

Thanks Dr. Cathey

וַאֲנִי בַּיהוָה אֲצַפֶּה אוֹחִילָה לֵאלֹהֵי יִשְׁעִי יִשְׁמָעֵנִי אֱלֹהָי׃

Posting in Greek has been something of a minefield. I have been writing about it on the Better Bibles Blog. However, Hebrew is another matter. I do believe there are some issues with Hebrew but they are completely different from Greek. In any case, Hebrew is one of the complex and right-to-left scripts and is governed by an application which in Windows is called Uniscribe. It seems to display without too much difficulty.

Eventually I would like to link to some good language resources but I do know these are available on other blogs. The BBB has some and Talmida has some wonderful Hebrew resources.

I guess one does have to install the language support for complex and right-to-left languages in Windows to make sure everything is working.

So, go to the Control Panel, choose date, time, language and regional options, click on 'add other languages' and then put a check in the box for install files for complex scripts and right-to-left languages, click on okay and that should be it. The Hebrew keyboard is under add other languages. If you want to input fully marked Hebrew, I will find online software for that soon. It seems to be around.

If you need a CD to install all this language support I hope you can find it. I had to reinstall my entire OS over Christmas, all of which comes from being in some dubious yahoo groups and receiving some odious virus last fall. (This is where my husband is glad that we are a "two heads are better than one" kind of couple. He fervently does not want me to look helpless when it comes to technology. )

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ׃

The text above is Genesis 1:1 from this site here. That was a good cut and paste experiment.

1 comment:

Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

Suzanne,

Thanks for your post here! I really like your blog especially the story of how you knitted in Hebrew class! I really got a kick out of that story! You have a knack for telling a good story or making a good post. I have taught Hebrew for over a decade and have never had a lady knit in class but I did have one that drew my lectures - that was a bit different. In any case, keep up the excellent work!

Best
Joe