Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Codex Alexandrinus


"Our dear friend Luke, the doctor, and Demas send greetings, Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house." Colossians 4:14-15

The Codex Alexandrinus (London, British Library, MS Royal 1. D. V-VIII) is a 5th century manuscript of the Greek Bible, containing the majority of the Septuagint and the New Testament. Along with the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus, it is one of the earliest and most complete manuscripts of the Bible. It derives its name from Alexandria where it is believed to have been made.




3 comments:

Peter Kirk said...

The interesting thing about this extract from Codex Alexandrinus is the reading of the last line, ΟΙΚΟΝ ΑΥΤΩΝ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΝ (word breaks supplied by me). This manuscript reads ΑΥΤΩΝ or αυτων where the preferred scholarly text has αυτης and the Majority Text has αυτου. I have posted about the possible signficance of this on the Better Bibles Blog.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Thank you, Peter, for emailing me about this. We will wait and see what kind of comments are made on the Better Bibles Blog. I had been thinking that I would make an index for the Codex Alexandrinus, it was one of the projects I had in mind when I decided to take a summer break but I have not got started yet.

So now I just click and scan through all 300 images. Do you believe I actually take my NT, hold it sideways, figure out what percentage of the way through the NT the verse is that I am looking for, and then translate that into a percentage of the 300 imgaes, and then I start opening the images and scanning the text to see what book I am in. From there on it is not too difficult. I also have a few other odd reference books handy.

HopiQ said...

Off topic...I was looking for your I Timothy 2:15 post. It inspired some study of my own, and I was interested in reading your post again. Gone forever?