Friday, August 07, 2009

Back to blogging

I am back. I have to say that I enjoyed a break from blogging. I think now, instead of not blogging, I will try to adopt a briefer style, and ask more questions, rather than arguing a point of some kind.

But first, I want to mention one thing about my holiday. Before returning home, my friend and I stopped in London and met Peter Kirk and his lovely fiancée, Lorenza, in the new British Library. In the John Ridblat Gallery, Peter was just going to show me the two volumes of the Codex Sinaiticus, when I turned and noticed that the Lindisfarne Gospels was in a glass case, about one foot behind me. It is a good thing that they don't show people the door for making too much noise!

Even though we could only view one page at a time, it was incredible to see the real thing, the illuminated initial page for the book of Matthew and the facing carpet page.

In the interests of keeping this short, I won't mention the Magna Carta, the Golden Haggadah, Shakespeare and the Beatles. I also spent some time in the secondhand bookstores and found some books by Baroness Orczy.

4 comments:

Ramesh said...

Off Topic:

Conference > Midwest Regional Meeting - New Baptist Covenant > General Session 4, Fri, August 7th, 2009 8pm to 10pm EST.

Highlights related to Pastor Wade Burleson's speech:

Pastor Wade's Speech about Women In Ministry - 1Hr:30Mts to 2Hrs:08Mts

Tod Littleton Introduction of Pastor Wade - 1Hr:16Mts to 1Hr:20Mts

Sarah Stewart's testimony - 1Hr:03Mts to 1Hr:16Mts

J. L. Watts said...

Glad to see you return, Sue.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

My Peace,

Wade was amazing. That was a fantastic sermon. It was difficult to download. I wonder if sometime an excerpt might turn up on youtube. I hope so.

Joel,

Thanks. I look forward to more conversation.

Peter Kirk said...

It was great to meet you, Suzanne. Yes, the British Library is an amazing place to visit, although I had been there before. As well as the Lindisfarne Gospels, which by the way include the oldest surviving translation of any of the Bible into (Old) English, we found sitting together in the same museum case two of the three most important Greek manuscripts of the New Testament, Sinaiticus and Alexandrinus (Vaticanus remains in the Vatican).