Monday, August 31, 2009

TNIV Roundup: August 2009

A new convert to the TNIV takes the plunge with Okay, I Did It, I Bought a TNIV. The TNIV appears on the Amazon’s Christian Best Sellers of the Month list. Stan reviews his Cambridge TNIV and he likes it!

TC, a long time promoter of the TNIV, introduces A Reader's Hebrew and Greek Bible with TNIV Here is another satisfied customer, thanks to Rick Mansfield and TC Robinson. But who is Brian and what is the name of his blog?

Aberration blog is a new blog which seems to have a major focus on Bible translation and in particular the TNIV. A recent post presents a short History of Translating the Bible.

For those who are looking for a little more detail there is The Love of John 21 and the NIV/TNIV and Colossians, Doug Moo and the TNIV

Finally, Jeff has been working on marketing slogans for the TNIV. What do you think?

My summary thoughts are that the average TNIV supporter is young, male, good-looking and hip. I hope that won't do the translation to much harm.

Here are a few of the anti-TNIV folks speaking their mind. Piper, MacArthur, Grudem and Packer. Its pretty amazing but Piper's clip on the TNIV has 10,000 viewers, whereas other youtube clips on the TNIV have only a hundred or so. The youtube clip on the accuracy of the TNIV has only 90 views.

I hope to do provide this service every month or two, depending on the availability of new posts on this topic. Next time around I will ask for submissions ahead of time.

19 comments:

J. K. Gayle said...

the average TNIV supporter is young, male, good-looking and hip.

just curious, on average, how does one begin to rate the age, the sex, the looks, and th e hipness of the exceptional TNIV bashers, namely Piper, MacArthur, Grudem and Packer? :)

btw, important post when one considers the sexist agenda herre.

Ray said...

As a male who is young, good-looking, and hip, I love the TNIV :)

TC ROBINSON said...

"As a male who is young, good-looking, and hip, I love the TNIV :)" Me too!

Anonymous said...

This one is not young, not hip, and certainly not male (grandmother instead) and I love the TNIV. I find it wonderfully refreshing.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Iris,

Thank you!! But isn't it fun to be in such good company? ;-)

Peter M. Lopez said...

Thanks for the plug.

Fr. Robert said...

As an older, but still good looking irishman lol, I will opt out on the TNIV!

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Robert,

What can I do to persuade you to accept the textual presence of your dear sisters in Christ?

How about if I mention Don Carson, Bruce Waltke and Gordon Fee, older and also good looking. :-)

A.Admin said...

Something that might help the YouTube videos is from your YouTube account, or you can open one, is vote and give those TNIV video's a 5 star rating. Every time someones viewing a anti-TNIV video from a Ronald McDonald scholar they should appear as alternate ones to view.

And thanks for the plug Susan.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Zondervan just pulled the plug on the TNIV. NIV update to follow in 2011, gender-inclusive language in debate.

How disappointing. Greed and fear wins.

http://bit.ly/Uion5

Lydia said...

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2009/09/breaking_transl.html

This is really upsetting. The propaganda worked. Just look at the comments on this Christianity Today stream.

How could gender inclusive language be so upsetting? Am I not included in the Brethren? Why can't my daughter read Brothers and sisters in her version?

Why is that a sin?

A.Admin said...

Unfortunately Lydia, repeat lies long enough and they get believed. This stinks...

Anonymous said...

I say we just find the most accurate interlinear and push it as hard as we can. With all the damage done by so many biased translations that people just swallow anyway, what will they be missing if they have trouble with an interlinear?

And I'm only half kidding.

Jeff said...

And of course the TNIV would be included as bias translation.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about young, but I try to be hip, and my wife thinks I am good-looking ;-) Thanks for the reference.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

my wife thinks I am good-looking ;-)

That works for me. :-)

Brian said...

I am the Brian you mention who does the video review of the TNIV Reference Bible.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Brian,

Is this you?

http://sunestauromai.wordpress.com/about/

Must be! Briliant. I sometimes have trouble knowing which Brian is which, but now I have it. Thanks so much for visiting and I am going to read more of your blog.

Anonymous said...

yup - that's me!