Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Junia, the apostle: Index

I note that I remain the "go to" person for Junia, an apostle. Here is the index to my posts on the Better Bibles Blog. Here are some follow up posts on this blog. Somebody told me that I have written at least 37 posts on Junia altogether so searching both the BBB and here might produce more results.

In brief, Greek literature from the church fathers, to modern Greek Bibles, all reflect that Junia is an apostle. Information in the NET Bible note is inaccurate. Here is the short version,

When, however, an elative notion is found, ἐν (en) plus a personal plural dative is not uncommon (cf. Pss. Sol. 2:6).

In Pss. Sol. 2:6, the word episemos does not seem to mean "well-known to" but rather "with a mark." Here is the Greek with a literal translation,
    οἱ υἱοὶ καὶ αἱ θυγατέρες ἐν αἰχμαλωσίᾳ πονηρᾷ, ἐν σφραγῖδι ὁ τράχηλος αὐτῶν, ἐν ἐπισήμῳ ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν

    The sons and daughters were in harsh captivity
    their neck in a seal, with a mark among the nations
    Psalm of Solomon 6:2 NETS
I am aware that there is a suggestion that this can be translated as "in a prominent [place]" among the Gentiles, but the result is the same - the suggested "place" is still among the Gentiles.

Although ἐν plus a personal dative does not indicate agency, in collocation with words of perception, (ἐν plus) dative personal nouns are often used to show the recipients.


There also does not seem to be any word of perception in the Greek. It would help if the word of perception could be pointed out.

3 comments:

Mark Goodacre said...

Many thanks for the helpful summary and indexes. I'll definitely be coming back to these. I am presenting a paper on Junia at the forthcoming SBL Annual Meeting in the Pauline Epistles section. I'll be developing comments previously made in my blog and in my podcast on the subject with respect to the role played by "the apostles" in Paul's remark.

Suzanne said...

Mark,

If anything is not clear in my notes, please email. My email is in my profile under my name on the sidebar.

The Vamva version was the final thing that cemented this for me.

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Thanks for the reminder too about the Vamva version.