- Please note that comments by Suzanne and John are both moderated. We try to approve comments as quickly as we can but there is sometimes a lag. When comments do not pertain to the post or involve disputes about gender issues or the ESV they are almost never approved.
This was a decision made by the team of contributors at BBB. If you have questions about this feel free to email me directly.
Probably the more serious reason is that I often make comments to the effect that the ESV does not translate the Greek properly with respect to gender. A double whammy as far as being moderated is concerned.
Anyway, when I say that the ESV does not translate accurately with respect to gender, this is a further example of what I mean.
The ESV preface says,
- But the words “man” and “men” are retained where a male meaning component is part of the original Greek or Hebrew. Likewise, the word “man” has been retained where the original text intends to convey a clear contrast between “God” on the one hand and “man” on the other hand, with “man” being used in the collective sense of the whole human race (see Luke 2:52).
- And Jesus said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.
And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God
In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.
Therefore it says, "When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,and he gave gifts to men.
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins.
For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
Discussion is taking place now on Clayboy, the blog of Doug Chaplin.
Update: Here is more from the ESV preface,
- Therefore, to the extent that plain English permits and the meaning in each case allows, we have sought to use the same English word for important recurring words in the original;
- First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,