Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Five Books Meme

Here are five books -

  • Aristotle's Politics. I was familiar with at a young age, and could hardly believe how closely certain passages of the Bible echo it.
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paolo Freire. I read this book at SIL in relation to Indigenous peoples of America, and slowly as I read, I came to realize that there was a class of people who wanted me to comply because I was persuaded that I should. I realized that I had been deceived. I experienced a deep sense of betrayal by many who had given me false expectations of the Bible. Reading this book was a deeply emotional time, realizing that fundamentalism had a profoundly disturbing effect on my life.
  • Poet and Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes. Kenneth Bailey. This book is a linguistic and poetic delight. I notice that several other bloggers have mentioned it but I can't take it off the list for that reason.
  • Opression and Liberty. Simone Weil. Another profoundly touching book.
  • Gospel Women by Richard Bauckham. I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone, but for me, with my interest in script and transliteration, it was a lovely read, intricate and involved, speculative and imaginative.
  • And I would like to mention a few other books mentioned elsewhere - the Septuagint, The Sparrow and sequel by Mary Doria Russell, (which James McGrath also mentioned)
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot. An important afterthougt.


No comments: