Monday, September 21, 2009

NLT: The gift of singleness is dead

In the NLT, in 1 Cor. 7:7, the text at Biblegateway.com (NLT 2004) says,
    But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness.
However, at the NLT site, the text reads,
    But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. Yet each person has a special gift from God, of one kind or another.
This change was in part a response to The Gift of Singleness blog. I met one of the writers, Gortexgrrl, last spring. She emailed me and we ended up getting together for supper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a gift of celibacy, but not a gift of singleness. And if you are not given the gift of celibacy, you should not pretend to have it.

Don

gortexgrrl said...

Hi Suzanne! I was just thinking about you. It's been quite a year for you and I was wondering how you were doing.

Suzanne McCarthy said...

Things are just settling down again for me, so email me and maybe we can have supper again. I would love that.